Your Love Shoot will be such a fun date with your fiance! I may not be a stylist, but I have some tips to make you look and feel incredible for your session! (This post was originally published in June 2012, then updated with new photos and more links in April 2014!)
1. Change is good. Wear one casual outfit and one dressy outfit. Even though two outfits are nice, I suggest bringing more outfit options so you can ask me what will look best. As celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe says, “OVER-PULL!” for a shoot, meaning bring extra outfit and accessory options than you think you may use.
2. Coordinate Colors. This doesn’t mean matchy-matchy. Although it generally doesn’t look good to wear the same color shirt, it’s harmonious to wear two colors next to each other on the color wheel – such as aqua paired with blue, or purple paired with blue. One of my favorite looks is when the girl wears a pastel blouse/dress, and the guy wears a neutral shirt. Neutral colors can be paired with practically any color (especially pastels) – some of my favorites include grays, pale blue, browns, khaki, white, and army green. But even though pastels and neutrals are my favorites, they may not be yours, so don’t be afraid of pops of color!
3. Fit is everything. How your clothing fits is more important than style trends. You want your outfit to be stylish, but not something that’s going to make you say, “That’s so 2014.” Wear something you’re comfortable in that accentuates your best features. You will have so much more fun if you’re confident and comfortable in what you’re wearing!
4. Have fun with accessories. Jewelry, shoes, hair accessories, and belts can give a basic outfit a pop of color and texture. A statement necklace can jazz up a solid colored top or dress! If you want to look taller, wear nude/neutral colored heels. If you’re going to wear heels, bring along a pair of sandals for walking between locations.
5. Layer like a Mexican Dip. Outfits have more texture, dimension, and color when layered. You may want to add a cardigan, blazer, or jacket to your top or dress – even if for just some of the photos!
6. Glam it up, honey. This is a great time to get to know your wedding day make-up artist (and even have your bridal trial on the same day). I’d be happy to send you recommendations! But if you’re going to do it yourself, be sure to apply more than your everyday look. Use blush to bring warmth to your cheeks. Bring attention to your eyes with eyeliner and mascara. Definitely wear lip color, but use gloss with caution since you’ll be giving lots of kisses! Bring your foundation/powder along for touch-ups, as well as your lip color.
7. Go on a date. The best marriages still have date nights and adventures! This can be a part of your Love Shoot, too! Have a picnic in a park. Cook together at home. Have a cup of coffee. Read books together. Walk the dog. Go to a carnival. Check out this Pinterest link for even more ENGAGEMENT SHOOT DATES! Also, let me know if there are any places nearby that are meaningful or memorable to your relationship, like the spot where he proposed, or your favorite restaurant.
8. Bling, bling. Clean your engagement ring before the shoot with these at home instructions, or take it to the jewelry store for maintenance, because I will be taking close-up ring shots! Also, all eyes will be on your ring finger, so put on some fresh nail color.
9. Celebrate your personalities. Think about your interests and hobbies. If you’re huge sports fans, bring your team jerseys. If you play an instrument, you can serenade your beau. If you love being outdoors, let’s go on an adventure. You can include props and themed outfits for a portion of your session. I want your engagement portraits to capture who you are as a couple!
10. Take a look around. Head over to my Pinterest for SPRING-SUMMER OUTFITS or FALL-WINTER OUTFITS! Now that you’re inspired, take a look around your closet before heading to the mall. You probably already have some great pieces and accessories to build an outfit on. Your fashionista bridesmaid may even let you look around her closet, too!
And just remember, “You’re never fully dressed without a smile!”